Friday, September 26, 2008

Kristen Gainey, business owner

So, it is actually done. It's been a crazy week, between setting up the business and substituting at the high school. But Monday I contacted a commercial lawyer to set up all of the actual business work, and so far I think it's well worth the money. He advised me to be an S-corporation instead of an LLC, makes sure the name I want isn't taken, and files all of the stuff for me. Hair people are mostly creative, so the business side is not our favorite. The lawyer was recommended to me by a friend who happens to be getting his masters in taxation. He will be helping me keep my books and file my taxes, which I will have to do quarterly come the new year. Then on Thursday evening I went and signed a 2 year lease. I have to say, I have mostly felt good about it from the start, but all that day I was pretty nervous, It's a big commitment! But, once I got there, I felt completely calm and confident. And I have to say, the company I ended up signing up with is fantastic. They have thought of everything, and make it so easy. They lay out everything you need to so step-by-step. I also met a lot more of the other women in the building, and they all seem very nice. It's very empowering to be in a building completely full of women business owners, and most of them seem to be doing very well!

I officially start on the 20th, give or take. I wanted to give myself time to decorate, move in, and get the word out to my clients. I'm offering 15% off the first visit, and 25% off an entire visit for each referred new client. Next stop, business cards and brochures. I'm very excited.

It's interesting, I've been subbing at Rangeview in the attendance office, and it's not exactly barrels of fun, but the days go by really fast, I'm busy the whole time, and I don't think I've ever had a job like that before! The woman I'm in for is actually leaving, and had I known a week or so earlier, I would have seriously considered taking the job I've practically been offered. Funny how things work out, but I firmly believe they are working out for the best. Starting the company has made me learn a lot very quickly, and I have loved the challenge and adrenaline. It's also helped me get my mind off of the having more children thing, giving me something else to focus on. Now I can go ahead knowing that, while we still really want and will try to have more children somehow, I can be useful another way and if it doesn't work out, I have another "baby" of sorts. Joel has been so supportive and encouraging. He's excited to help me with things like inventory and paperwork. It's been fun embarking on something else together.

Don't despair, and entire entry about Christopher is coming. I have some fun new pics to post, I'll try to get to it this weekend.

1 comment:

Robbie and Barb's Family said...

Can I make an appointment please?