Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight

I really, really wanted to like this movie, ya'll (sorry, it slips out once in a while and I just have to use it)! But I didn't expect to. I'm always disappointed by movies based on books I've read. I love books. I also love good movies, but somehow when you read about it first, it just never matches the movie you make in your mind, I suppose.

But I'm really bummed because this is the one chance to make a really good book a decent movie. And what we got was a low-budget (the sparkling effect looks like when Comcast doesn't come in right!), not-so-greatly-acted (They're both supposed to be wry and sarcastic, not sullen and depressed!!) movie. Harry Potter cut way too much out for me and focused on the wrong story lines, IMO, but at least it was made well (tho it did take a couple of movies for those kids to not be completely awkward!). It probably didn't help that I was surrounded by the crowd I was surrounded by. But I should start at the beginning....

I went with my 2 sisters, Shauna and Jaime; 3 students from the high school Shauna (and I) work at; one of my beehives and a good friend's daughter, Morgan; and my friends Denise (who had never read the book), and Kelly. Shauna, Taylor, Morgan and I went to a late dinner at Chili's, and then Morgan and I went to the theatre while the others went to get treats at the grocery store. Everyone was meeting us at the movie. We got to the theatre at 10pm, and there were about 40 or so people (mostly teens) in front of us. They let us into the theatre a little after 10:20. The theatre was half full as soon as they let us in. The dozen girls behind us were definitely LDS, and I wanted to start singing YW camp songs and see how many people joined in, but I resisted. Everyone else got there slowly (Kelly gave us a scare, she got there right as the movie started because her poor husband had to work RIDICULOUSLY late. Poor Simon!) I ended up sitting between Jaime and Morgan for the movie.

Now I have to take a moment and talk about my sister Jaime. Is anyone more hilarious? I mean seriously. She is so blunt and just does not put up with anything she thinks is crap. I love that about her, probably because it's SOO not me! I'm so sensitive to everyone around me, and very careful about being.......um, PC I guess, not offending anyone. She is definitely aware of those around her too, in her own way- if she's on your side she's fierce- but she'll just tell everyone how it is, at least how it is in her opinion. I laughed a lot during the movie because she was just rolling her eyes. At the movie, and the ridiculous reactions of the girls around us....everything. She cracks me up.

On the other side, Morgan was pretty funny too. She is not your average 12 year old, and she was not impressed by most of the things ALL those other girls were. Although she was swooning quite a bit over the guy who plays Edward, whom I am not crazy about. More about that later.

Those girls (whenever I say this, I mean, the majority of the theater), sighed, giggled, squealed, or gasped EVERY time a new character came on the screen. As if they haven't been seeing pictures and clips of all of these people for the past 4 months!! They also clapped at a couple of extremely odd times.

I'm trying really hard not to spoil anything for anyone who may read this prior to seeing the movie, but I have to log a couple of observations. 1) Robert Pattinson (Edward) does some SCARY stuff with his eyes, thus making it very hard for me to swoon the way I really want to over Edward!! He also is a little too sullen. All I kept thinking was how he said he played Edward as manically depressed. Eww. Tortured soul maybe, but manic depression?? 2) Kid who plays Jacob, hair, all wrong. Seriously. 3) Kirsten Stewart (Bella), lighten up, for goodness sakes!! Depressing, depressing, depressing. She's practically monotone. And with both of them playing their parts SOO seriously, the romantic stuff really gets lost. 4) special effects, not so special. 5) make-up, bad. 6) After all the stuff they cut (which I understand, I really do), the spider-monkey thing??? Please. This is not a spoiler, because it's even in a trailer or two. 6) If you hadn't read the book, it just didn't make sense. Denise was totally confused, and I don't blame her.

On the other hand, I thought the guy playing Bella's Dad was a bright spot. And maybe Rosalie. The rest of the Cullens barely had anything to do. Some of the school kids were pretty entertaining.

Hopefully, they'll get a much bigger budget for New Moon. We're probably stuck with the actors, though. PLEASE at least let them improve the way the Harry Potter kids have. Let us all pray.... Anyway, just my 2 cents.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Here, here. It was pretty ordinary wasn't it. It could have been so much better if they had of cast it better. The Cullens are supposed to be the most beautiful people Bella has ever seen. Please, they were all a bit creepy if you ask me . . . I thought Alice was the cutest oh and I thought that Victoria was pretty as well but as for the boys . . . oooowwww Not at all my cuppa tea but I guess I'm not a 14 year old girl. You'll have to check out my blog to hear all my thoughts. I am exhausted just thinking about it. Shame it was a bust.
Great company though. Sorry I was so late but I was glad I made it in the end. You are right. Poor Simon. He's a good egg!!

Amber and The Boys said...

I pretty much agree. I liked it pretty well through the first half but the "meadow" scene was not well done. And of course the people around me didn't help either. The whole theater was giggling through that. And then any "vampire" scenes beyond that were just silly. The special effects were totally lacking, the makeup was bad-you are right. And I just don't find that Edward guy good looking. But I did like the casting for most of the rest of the characters. I liked Jacob's character a lot because I have never liked him in the books and this guy was likeable. And I like the Jessica and Mike and Eric and Angela stuff. I thought it was fun to go see but I think anyone who hasn't read the books probably thought it was SO strange!