Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Expecting and Extremely Excited!

Well, now we'll really see if anyone reads this blog, because besides family and a couple of others, I haven't really told the news yet. Although I have hinted at it a couple of times in my last couple of posts.

Yep, we're expecting Baby #2. I found out the night we got back from our Christmas trip. I was fairly certain at that point, but part of me still wanted to explain everything away with Holiday stress. But a quick test confirmed it. The first thing I said to Joel was "I'm scared," and I was for a few days. I wouldn't really let myself be excited. But Monday I had bloodwork done, which all looked good, and today I had an ultrasound and actually saw the little heartbeat. I am still in the first trimester, and ideally I'd wait til the end to tell everyone, but we made the mistake of telling our son who understands way more than we think he does sometimes. He has started frequently saying "Mommy, I'm happy about the baby" and he doesn't care who's around to hear! And although it's fairly early, it's the furthest along I've ever been (besides of course, Christopher) in a pregnancy; and the only time besides Christopher I've had nausea and been SOOOO tired! My biggest clue was that I took a nap just about every day on that trip. Not really like me. Anyway, we're very excited and are just praying for a healthy, complete pregnancy and baby to add to our family. I'll keep everyone updated.

I do have to talk about one of the early conversations I had with Christopher. He was much more curious than I thought he would be! We should have realized he would kind of "get it," because he actually understood a lot over the summer. After the whole situation, he started sticking balloons up his shirt saying it was his "baby," and once even remarked to me "Mommy, your baby is gone, this one is mine." This time, it came up because we were around so many babies for New Year's, and he kept saying "I like that baby." Finally, one of us said "Should we have a baby?" I believe that at first he said "no," and then I said "But, if we had our own baby, would you help with it?" and he said he would. Then "Well, there's a baby in mommy's tummy." He climbed up on my lap, took my face in his hands, and started asking all sorts of questions. "How are we going to get our baby out? Does it come out your mouth?" (kind of insightful if you think about how we're always saying a baby is in a woman's tummy!) I tried to side-step that one by saying the doctor may have to cut it out. We're going with that explanation for now. Then he asked if we had bottles to feed the baby, and I told him that we have his old ones upstairs. He said "So, we will feed our baby milk in the bottles." I kind of corrected him about the milk, and then, catching myself, I said at first the baby will eat formula out of bottles (did NOT want to get into the nursing issue!). He ran out of the room. He was back a minute later, rather distraught, and said "We don't have any formula!" I assured him we have plenty of time before the baby will be here, and we can buy some formula. I'm sure there will be many more interesting conversations!

So, that's it for now. More good news to come, hopefully! We have a lot of people praying for us and we're all crossing our fingers!

4 comments:

pjtemple said...

Congratulations!!! Wonderful news!

Amber and The Boys said...

So so glad to hear that the U/S went well yesterday!!!! I was praying for you! Yay yay yay yay yay!!!

kim said...

Congratulations! So happy for ya! Logan thought at one point the baby came out of my mouth too. Funny how they think huh?

Robbie and Barb's Family said...

Yay! I am soooo excited for you guys. I hope all goes well and you have another cutie not too far from now!!!