Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Christmas in Florida

So, we got off the "Mickey Boat" Christmas Eve Morning- They pretty much make you have breakfast (it's assigned and ours was the earliest at 6:30am!) and get off the boat. I do have a pic of Christopher crying because we're leaving, but it looks more like he's sleeping. Still was hilarious though!

Anyway, we got off the boat and drove back to town (although I should mention that along the way, my Dad ran out of gas. So, we had a little detour to go get him gas right around where there are a ton of tolls, and then we got back on the road). We got settled at Joel's parents' house, and Joel and I took naps (I took a lot of naps on this vacation.....). I knew Joel's family would keep C occupied, and I woke up to find them making cookies for Santa. Thus the following picture:That's Joel's sister Jody, his mom Bonnie, brother Jeremy, and of course, Christopher. This is the first year he's really been old enough to start understanding the whole Santa thing, so we've never really done anything like leave cookies out. I'm glad he got to do it with his Grandma. She's so cute about all of the Christmas stuff! This is the plate they ended up leaving for Santa:
The carrots, of course, are for the reindeer. They also made sure to sprinkle "reindeer food" on the lawn just in case. Grandma also explained to C that since they don't have a chimney (who need a fireplace in Florida???), they have a key they leave out for Santa so he can get in. It was the cutest key.
So, after all of this preparation, C conked out in our room:No worrying about this kid trying to wait up for Santa! He was totally out.

That evening my family also came over and we all had dinner together, made by Joel's mom. It was really fun to have everyone together.

The next morning we opened a few presents. Christopher got Pixos (the one thing he really asked for, and we have still not played with yet!), a car from Cars from Jody and Jarred, some clothes, a thomas the train set from Joel's aunt, and money from other family. I'm probably forgetting a couple of things.... He loved opening his stocking as well. All we got him were stocking stuffers, since Christmas was basically the trip, but he loved the (tons of!) viewfinder cards and toothbrush. He actually got 2 toothbrushes, which is good because he loves to crush his teeth! Here he is with Grandma waiting to open presents that morning:
Then we went to DeLand (it's like an hour drive), where my mother-in-law's family lives. They always have a midday meal with all the trimmings, and a white elephant-type gift exchange. C's favorite part was their Dog:


After DeLand, we went home and (I'm pretty sure) took naps! Then we drove down to Orlando and had a Christmas Dinner my mom made for both families. Not as many people this time, as just Joel's parents and Jeremy came with us, but the dinner was great. I had no idea my mom was going to do a full-blown turkey dinner. We had all been eating for days, so there were a lot of leftovers, but it was very yummy.
All in all, we had a great Christmas. I personally really loved having both of my families together. It may be the only time it will ever happen, so we're going to treasure the experience. It was a little hectic, but I always think "the More the Merrier!" I definitely want to thank everyone for compromising and being so hospitable to one another. Love all of you!!!

No comments: