Monday, December 29, 2008

Roadtrip 2008!!

Get ready, and comfortable, this is going to take a few posts! So, we took our Christmas trip, which started with driving down to Florida beginning the 18th of December. Here goes:

OK, I can not for the life of me figure out why blogspot changes the order of your pics as they load. And I don't know how to switch them, I've tried everything! So, I'll just deal with how they did it:

This is from when we stopped at McDonalds in Oklahoma the morning of the 19th, after spinning off the road in Kansas and therefore deciding to head more south. Seriously, Kansas is way low on the list of my favorite states. It's always boring, but this time we got stuck there for 2 hours (due to lots of accidents, I don't know if I've ever seen so many jack-knifed and rolled-over semis!), and then once we finally got going, we hit a patch of ice, spun around more than once, and (thank goodness!) ended up in the median facing the right direction and got right back on the road. I don't know how many more roadtrips like this we should do. I mean, how many times can we spin off the road and not flip or have a ton of damage?? We've been very, very lucky.

And here is Christopher sleeping in the car the night of the 18th. He was very good, all things considered!
Below are the road conditions as we got going the afternoon of the 18th. Not too bad, but we drove right into some bad snow. We probably would have beat out the storm had it not been for all of the accidents making the highway a total standstill a little before Colby, Kansas. I think we lost about 3 hours or so altogether. We were totally motionless for 2!

Shauna and Christopher enjoying some tunes on the ipod as we got on the road. He can be pretty demanding. I think she heard the same song a few too many times! Bubbly is his favorite, but I don't think she had that one, he had to bug Jaime for it.

So anyway, the first day was a little crazy. And as I said, we decided to drop south at Salina, KS. Conditions almost immediately got better. And into Oklahoma it was great. Then we drove across through Little Rock; through the corner of Mississippi; through Birmingham and Montgomery, AL; and down into Florida. We finally arrived around 5am, and took naps and washed up before heading to Disney World by 9am! (well, Joel, C and I and Joel's family made it by 9am..... : ))




1 comment:

The Easton Family said...

I know it was a whirlwind, and the spinning off the road I'd probably rather avoid, but driving through all that country sounds really cool to me. I'm way jealous! Not to mention the end destination! What a great trip you all had!