Monday, March 23, 2009

Moving unexpectedly

Well, apparently we are moving. This was not really in our plans, but I feel strongly that it's what's supposed to happen. We did consider possibly moving to help my parents out a few weeks ago, briefly. It would have been at the end of May, when our lease is up. I felt like we should, but then I felt like I just wanted to help my parents, and that maybe I couldn't trust myself to separate the issue, being pregnant and very emotional and family-oriented even without extra hormones! So, I basically left it up to Joel, who felt we should stay put. It didn't really get to the point where we fasted or prayed about it, we just kind of made the decision it would be too much of a hassle, and we like where we're at. Done. Except that apparently Heavenly Father disagreed.

Not quite a couple of weeks ago, our landlord called us unexpectedly. I thought it might be about the water bill, which was a little late. Nope, she said they have an offer on their other property (where they are living now, up near Boulder), and needed us out by April 10th, or we could try to buy the condo. The original plan was to buy the place, but that was a couple of years ago, and it ended up that they couldn't sell it to us at that point for various reasons. Now it doesn't make sense, with the housing market and how much longer we would be there. I'm not really sure what would have happened if we had pushed the point of our lease not being up yet, but I figured we may as well just get it over with. The Rockies home games start April 10th and I would rather just be done moving by then and not anymore pregnant than I already am! But, it is less than a month to move; and being that we're going to move back in with my parents, we have to get rid of some stuff, decide what will go into storage, and what we will actually be able to take with us. Not to mention this is all complicated by all the boxes of baby boy clothes we have! Hopefully Friday we'll find out what we're having and know whether we should keep it or if we need some pink stuff!

So, the pros are: We'll help my parents out a lot with their finances, we'll save a lot of money, I won't have to travel so far to drop C off with his baby-sitters : ), and C gets to play with the neighbors' dogs and boys which he loves. The not-so-great things: leaving our ward (no offense to anyone in the Highlands Ward. I love everyone, it's just hard to be in the ward you grew up in- with your parents- when you're in my situation), leaving the area we're in, and losing access to the lightrail for Joel. The night we found out, C got very upset. He and I had a good cry together, but we're both getting a lot better. Everyone keeps telling me he'll be very resilient, and I hope that's true, because it was really hard for me to see him like that!

Like I said, I'm sure this is happening for a reason, and that it's a blessing in the long run. But it is very unexpected, and a lot to deal with while we already have so much going on. Everyone keeps offering to help, but I haven't even really wrapped my head around everything yet! The weekend after they told us, we went to Arizona for my cousin's wedding and other cousin's farewell (more about those in another post); and I've been working at the school full-time ever since as well, not to mention working at the salon on weekends. So, we've just been trying to do what we can in the evenings. Tomorrow I finish up at the school, and I'll be able to concentrate a lot more on the move. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Amber and The Boys said...

Just had to comment on the kid's resilience thing since we recently moved 2000 miles! I thought Nathan especially might have a hard time with it-his best friend was there, well of course all of his friends were there. He didn't bat an eye. It barely mattered to him that we left. It was so weird. Occasionally Jack will mention missing Madison but for the most part they really took it in stride!